Fishguard, Wales Passenger Lists 1912-1914
Passengers Boarding Tender at Quayside at Fishguard, Wales, circa 1913. GGA Image ID # 1758d95504
Passenger Lists available from the GG Archives from the Port of Fishguard, Wales. Organized by Date of Departure, Steamship Line, Steamship or Ocean Liner, Class of Passengers, Route, and the Ship's Captain.
- Steamship Line: Cunard Line
- Class of Passengers: Second Cabin
- Date of Departure: 28 May 1912
- Route: Boston to Liverpool via Queenstown (Cobh) and Fishguard
- Commander: Captain W. R. D. Irvine
Fishguard Harbour was constructed by blasting 1.6 million tonnes of rock from the hillside to make a 900 m long breakwater. The quarried-out area became the quay. The harbour was finally opened on 30 August 1906. Planned to be the end of the Great Western Railway's line and its major sea port, replacing Neyland, problems with the harbour (known as Fishguard Harbour) prevented larger ocean liners from docking. Accordingly the harbour has a smaller inner breakwater protecting the remaining open side.
Mauretania in Background as Passengers from the Ship head to Shore at Fishguard, Wales 1909. GGA Image ID # 1758f0aa23
RMS Mauretania visited once in 1909 although Passengers had to board by tender when transferring to and from the London train. The smaller breakwater was built as part of the preparations for the visit of the RMS Mauretania and is sometimes known as the "Mauretania Mole".