Works Progress Administration (WPA) Archives Historical Records, Documents, Brochures
The Gjenvick-Gjønvik Archives, established online in January 2000, has a number of original documents, books and other items that are connected to the Works Project Administration. Educators and researchers have found our collection to be an excellent resource for the classroom.
Students can experience the New Deal through original documents of the era, and gain a better understanding of the Great Depression. They will also find this site to be an excellent resource for their reports and thesis.
Index to Works Progress Administration Historical Documents
WPA Brochures, Booklets, and Pamphlets
Brochures, Booklets, Flyers, and Pamphlets produced during the Great Depression (the 1930s), discussing various topics, projects, employment, questions and answers, and more. Ephemera from this era is quite useful for students studying the Depressions and the New Deal.
Books published during the Great Depression (the 1930s), discussing various topics, projects, employment, and more. Books prepared by the Works Progress Administration are quite useful for students studying the Depressions and the New Deal.
1930s WPA Workers Association Membership Card (Blank) and 1930s Lapel Button - WPA Workers Association
WPA Membership Card from the 1930s certifying that a WPA Worker was a member of the WPA Workers Association and related WPA Workers Association Union Pin.
- 1935-05 Booklet: The Drought and Current Farm Imports - Covers the Import and Export of agricultural products and the effect of the drought on agricultural production.
- 1936-10-15 Comprehensive Report - Progress of The Works Program - Covers all aspects of the WPA program with many photographs.
- Brief History of the WPA - Useful as a general overview - Students can use this to prepare an outline of what the WPA is about. Warning: Teachers know this verbiage almost by heart, don't use it as part of your report.
Other WPA Documents in the Archives, Not yet uploaded:
- 1935-11-11 WPA Assignment Slip - Works Program for Project 566 - A Laborer at a rate of $35.00 per month.
- 1936-03 WPA Booklet: Works Progress Administration, Harry L. Hopkins, Administration, Employment on Project in March 1936: WPA including NYA. 134 pages. 138 Tables and Executive Summary.
- 1936-01-22 Arkansas WPA Booklet: The Weekly Digest, Works Progress Administration, Volume 1, Number 17, Arkansas. 12 Pages includes Foreword from Floyd Sharp, State Administrator, Weekly Progress Report, Women's Division report from Mrs. Dot Kennan, Director; Report from State Procurement Office, L.L Thornhill; Report from State Safety Division from R. K. McDonald, Consultant; Obituary for Mr. Dyess; District NO. 1 Activities.
- 1936: WPA Flyer: Roosevelt Appreciators' League: Membership Enrollment and Democratic Committee's Registration Drive with Roosevelt Round-Up Rally. Discusses 21 Issues including the WPA, and N.Y.A.
- 1936-07-19 WPA Reassignment Slip, WPA Form 402, Reassigned from Project 566 to Project 459 - Kenwood Park Project - Laborer.
- 1937-02-17 WPA Notice to Report For Work on Project, WPA Form 402, Unskilled Laborer to work on Walnut Township Road.
- 1937-08-19 WPA Notice to Report For Work on Project, WPA Form 402, Skilled Carpenter to work on Saline County Community Sanitation.
- 1937-11-23 WPA Notice to Report For Work on Project, WPA Form 402, Project Number 5846 Laborer at County Barn.
- 1940 WPA Research Bulletin: The Plantation South Today: Social Problems Series Number 5, Federal Works Agency, Work Projects Administration. This pamphlet is designed to present factual information in non technical terms on social problems of general interest. A summarization of WPA Division of Research Monograph No. XXII, The Plantation South, 1934-1937. 28 Pages.
- 1940 WPA Book: Average General Relief Benefits, 1933-1938, Works Progress Administration, Division of Research and Division of Statistics. Includes Introduction, Summary, Procedure for Administering Relief, Variations in Average Monthly Relief Benefits, 1933-1938; Social and Economic Factors Influencing the Average General Relief Benefit; Administrative and Technical Factors Influencing the Average General Relief Benefit; Supplementary Tales.
- 1940-02 WPA Publication: Public Roads: A Journal of Highway Research, Federal Works Agency, Public Roads Administration, Vol. 20, No. 12. Progress in Study of Motor Vehicle Passing Practices and Stresses Under a Loaded Circular Area.