Horse Racing Program - RMS Edinburgh Castle - 24 June 1955
Front Cover, Horse Racing Program on Board the RMS Edinburgh Castle for Friday, 24 June 1955. GGA Image ID # 12af3bf4e7
Tongue-in-Cheek Horse Racing Program published onboard the RMS Edinburgh Castle of the Union-Castle Line, held on Friday, 24 June 1955. Each of the six races was given a "theme," and the five [wooden] horses would be listed by owner, name of the horse, jockey, and quip.
OFFICIAL RACE CARD
Price - One Shilling
Meeting held on FRIDAY, 24th June, 1955
- Judge: Mr. S. Thorpe
- Clerk of the Course: Mr. D. Lee
- Starter: Mr. F. Cook
- Veterinary Surgeon: Mr. A. Allen
- Doctor's Boys: Mr. W. Lofthouse & Mr. R. McKillop
- Police: Mr. R. Dimmock, Mr. W. Jones, Mr. H. Levin
- Stewards: Messrs.: I. Robb. V. Nyenes, N. Hansen, C. Wilcox, A. Gorman & C. Dempers
- Program Sellers: Mrs. J. Allen, Miss D. Kilgour & Miss N. Oosthuizen
RMS Edinburgh Castle of the Union-Castle Line, 28,705 Gross Tons. Captain H. A. Deller, Commander. GGA Image ID # 12afaf9298
1st Race - The Maiden Stakes
- Owner: Mr. Gibb’s Horse and Pedigree: Haggis Jockey: Miss Fisher Quip: by Dog Biscuits our of Stirling Castle
- Owner: Mr. Rae's Horse and Pedigree: Mademoiselle de Paris Jockey: Miss Morris Quip: by Maurice Chevalier out of Eiffel Tower
- Owner: Mr. Day’s Horse and Pedigree: Broken Hill Briana Jockey: Miss Howell Quip: by Bundu Basher out of Kaffirs’ Kraal
- Owner: Mr. Dalziel’s Horse and Pedigree: Never Say Die Jockey: Miss Bradfield Quip: by One Foot in the Grave out of Dead Already
- Owner: Mr. Parsons’ Horse and Pedigree: Peg Out Jockey: Miss Mortleman Quip: by Beer Boozer out of Order
- Owner: Mr. Shaper’s Horse and Pedigree: Not Enough Jockey: Miss Henderson Quip: by Pumper out of Breath
2nd Race - The Tropical Canter
- Owner: Mr. Levin’s Horse and Pedigree: General Fury Jockey: Miss Morkel Quip: by Guardsman out of Step
- Owner: Mr. Leighton’s Horse and Pedigree: Fish Food Jockey: Miss Murray Cox Quip: by Garbage out of Porthole
- Owner: Mr. van Buuren's Horse and Pedigree: Potato Jockey: Mrs. van Buuren Quip: by Salad out of Mayonnaise
- Owner: Mr. Kimble’s Horse and Pedigree: Tippler Jockey: Mrs. Kimble Quip: by Cork out of Bottle
- Owner: Mr. Gear’s Horse and Pedigree: Shank's Mare Jockey: Miss Swanson Quip: by Lift out of Order
3rd Race - The Neptune Plate
- Owner: Mr. Woolloff’s Horse and Pedigree: Victoria Falls Jockey: Miss Edwards Quip: by Chaperone out of Sight
- Owner: Mr. Brooks’ Horse and Pedigree: Shorter Skirts Jockey: Mrs. Brooks Quip: by Dior out of Seymour Brooks
- Owner: Mr. Shaper’s Horse and Pedigree: Pink Elephants Jockey: Mrs. Barrow Quip: by Golden Spirit out of Brown Bottle
- Owner: Mr. White’s Horse and Pedigree: Shocking Jockey: Mrs. Dawson Quip: by Pin-up Girl out of Bikini
- Owner: Mr. Leib's Horse and Pedigree: One Less Jockey: Miss Brooks Quip: by Bachelor Club out of Spring Cruise
4th Race - The Capricorn Plate
- Owner: Mr. McKillop’s Horse and Pedigree: Drunk Jockey: Miss McEwen Quip: by Whisky out of Barley
- Owner: Mr. Parsons’ Horse and Pedigree: Beaten Jockey: Miss Madsen Quip: by Son out of Deck Tennis
- Owner: Mr. Ronaldson’s Horse and Pedigree: Lighthouse Jockey: Mrs. Ronaldson Quip: by Sheer Luck out of Mist
- Owner: Mr. McLeod’s Horse and Pedigree: Lux Girl Jockey: Mrs. Emmerson Quip: by Daily Dipper out of Surf
- Owner: Mr. Hamilton’s Horse and Pedigree: Mistake Jockey: Mrs. Hamilton Quip: by Surgeon out of Practice
5th Race - The Equator Stakes
- Owner: Mr. Courage’s Horse and Pedigree: Tiddley Jockey: Mrs. Brown Quip: by Beer out of Mug
- Owner: Mr. Gibb’s Horse and Pedigree: Bonanza Jockey: Miss Swanson Quip: by Bookie out of July Handicap
- Owner: Mr. Dunlop's Horse and Pedigree: Wot! No Name Jockey: Mrs. Dunlop Quip: by Passenger out of Ideas
- Owner: Mr. Powell’s Horse and Pedigree: Bad Egg Jockey: Mrs. Self-Weeks Quip: by Too Long out of Hen
- Owner: Mr. Isaacson’s Horse and Pedigree: Necking Jockey: Miss Penny Quip: Quip
- Owner: Owner Horse and Pedigree: HName Jockey: Jockey Quip: by Couple out of Sight
6th Race - The Atlantic Cup
- Owner: Mr. Shambrook’s Horse and Pedigree: D. B. Jockey: Mrs. Shambrook Quip: by Soldier out of Bounds
- Owner: Mr. McGeorge’s Horse and Pedigree: Forgetful Jockey: Mrs. McGeorge Quip: by Nature out of Habit
- Owner: Mr. Hone’s Horse and Pedigree: Shotgun Wedding Jockey: Mrs. Hone Quip: by Jalopy out of Petrol
- Owner: Mr. Millar-Smith’s Horse and Pedigree: Moo Jockey: Mrs. Millar-Smith Quip: by Cow out of Paddock
- Owner: Mr. Shefts’ Horse and Pedigree: Bolognaise Fromage Jockey: Mrs. Shefts Quip: by Spaghetti Italian out of Gourmets
- The winner of each race shall be eligible for the “Edinburgh Derby.”
- The course consists of a length of cape which the horse must traverse, by cutting from end to end with scissors provided for the purpose. Ripping is not allowed.
- The tape must be held in front of the cutting scissors by the first two fingers of the non-cutting hand until past the post.
- Every horse shall keep a straight course down the middle of the tape. and. if it runs off the course, i.e. cuts through the edge of the tape, it will be disqualified.
- Horses must parade and race in the registered colors of their owners, but eyebrows, lips. hair, cheeks, toenails and fingernails must not be colored to match.
- All mares are requested to leave their foals in the stable.
Any Rule not mentioned above will be strictly enforced.
The Public are warned to beware of Pickpockets, Cardsharps, Gangsters and Tipsters, also the Secretary and the Treasurer.
Printed by E. J. Meacher
Horse Racing Program on Board the RMS Edinburgh Castle for Friday, 24 June 1955. GGA Image ID # 12b07b8d5e
Rules for Lucky No. 17 on the Back Cover, Horse Racing Program on Board the RMS Edinburgh Castle for Friday, 24 June 1955. GGA Image ID # 12b0aec62d