Naval Aviation News - June 1996 -
Front Cover, Naval Aviation News, May-June 1996: NANews Assistant Editor J02 Jerry Knaak shot this HCS-4 HH-60H Seahawk hoisting a rescue swimmer out of the water during a SAR training exercise off NS Roosevelt Roads, P.R.
Back Cover, Naval Aviation News, May-June 1996: the Beardmore Glacier in Antarctica flashes below the cockpit of an LC-130 Hercules on a low-level flight to the South Pole, where Navy pilots face some of the fiercest flying weather in the world (PH2 John K. Sokolowski).
Naval Aviation News, Flagship Publication of Naval Aviation
The U.S. Navy's Oldest Periodical, Volume 78, No. 4, May-June 1996
- 85 Years of Naval Aviation
- HCS-4 and HCS-5: "Give Us 72 Hours"
- Training for Reality: HS-6 Rescue Swimmer "A True Hero"
- NPS Fuses Night Vision Technologies
- The Wings of Naval Aviation series: Naval Flight Officer/Naval Astronaut
- Who's Afraid of the Dark? Red Rippers Conquer the Night
- TOPSCENE: Taking a Byte out of Tactical Homework
- NAS Patuxent River: Treasure of the Chesapeake
- The Burning of Richmond
- HS-11 Lands on Russian Carrier
- Flight Line
- Grampaw Pettibone
- Professional Reading
- Flight Bag
RAdm. Dennis V. McGinn
Director. Air Warfare
Published by the Naval Historical Center under the auspices of the Chief of Naval Operations
Dr. William S. Dudley
Director, Naval Historical Center
- LCdr. Diana T. Cangelosi, Editor
- Sandy Russell, Managing Editor
- Wendy Karppi, Associate Editor
- J02 Jerry Knaak, Assistant Editor
- J02 E. Blake Towler, Assistant Editor
- Harold Andrews, Technical Advisor
- Cdr. Peter Mersky, USNR (Ret.), Book Review Editor
- Capt. R. Rausa, USNR (Ret.), Contributing Editor
- LCdr. Richard R. Burgess, USN (Ret.), Contributing Editor
Naval Aviation News considers for publication unsolicited manuscripts, photo essays, artwork and general news about aircraft, organizations, history and/or human endeavors which are the core of Naval Aviation. All military contributors should forward articles about their commands only after internal security review and with the permission of the commanding officer.
Naval Aviation News (USPS 323-310; ISSN 0028-1417) is published bimonthly for the Chief of Naval Operations by the Naval Historical Center. Editorial offices are located in Bldg. 157-1 Washington Navy Yard. 901 M Street SE. Washington. DC 20374-5059.
The Secretary of the Navy has determined that this publication is necessary in the transaction of business required by law Funds for printing have been approved by the Navy Publications and Printing Policy Committee.
The use of a name of any specific manufacturer, commercial product, commodity or service in this publication does not imply endorsement by the Navy Photographs are U.S. Navy unless otherwise credited.