Naval Aviation News - June 1992 - Battle of Midway
Front Cover, Naval Aviation News, June 1992: NANews Art Director Charles Cooney captured the critical elements of the Battle of Midway in marking its 50th anniversary.
Back Cover, Naval Aviation News, June 1992: An EP-3E Orion, center, is followed by two EA-3B Skywarriors during flight ops near Gibraltar in 1991, shortly before VQ-2 retired its last Skywarriors. (PH3 Franklin P. Call)
Publication Description: Naval Aviation News, Flagship Publication of Naval Aviation Oldest U.S. Navy Periodical, Volume 74, No.4.
NANews Art Director Charles Cooney captured the critical elements of the Battle of Midway in marking its 50th anniversary. U. S. Naval Aviation came of age as a decisive force 50 years ago during the Coral Sea and Midway battles, which we commemorate in this issue. In May and June 1942, Navy and Marine Corps flyers and the troops and ships that launched them turned out to be the real "showstoppers" to the Japanese advance in the Pacific. With some great men, great head-work, and too few good planes and ships, these battles changed the pattern of naval warfare forever. Naval Aviation became the tip of the spear and has remained there ever since.
- Naval Aviation in WW II: Battle of Coral Sea
- Naval Aviation in WW II: Battle of Midway
- JPATS - USN/USAF Joint Primary Aircraft Training System
- A Day in the Life of a Checkmate Jet
- A Gathering of Greyhounds
- Five Aviators Enshrined in Hall of Honor
- Stealth Technology
- Flight Line: The Momentum of Midway
- Grampaw Pettibone
- Naval Aircraft: HNS Hoverfly
- ANA Bimonthly Photo Competition
- Professional Reading
- Flight Bag
Vice Admiral Richard M. Dunleavy
Assistant Chief of Naval Operations (Air Warfare)
Published by the Naval Historical Center under the auspices of the Chief of Naval Operations
Dr. Dean C. Allard
Director of Naval History
Cdr. Stephen R. Silverio
Director. Naval Aviation History and Publication Division
- LCdr. Richard R. Burgess, Editor
- Sandy Russell, Managing Editor
- Charles C. Cooney, Art Director
- Joan A. Frasher, Associate Editor
- JOCS B. A. Cornfeld, Associate Editor
- J02(SW) Eric S. Sesit, Assistant Editor
- Harold Andrews, Technical Advisor
- Cdr. Peter Mersky, USNR, Book Review Editor
- Capt. R. Rausa, USNR (Ret.), Contributing Editor
Naval Aviation News considers for publication unsolicited, photo essays, artwork, and general news about aircraft, organizations, history, and/or human endeavors which are the core of Naval Aviation. All military contributors should forward articles about their commands only after internal security review and the permission of the commanding officer. Manuscripts will be returned upon request.
Naval Aviation News (USPS 323-310; ISSN 0028-1417) is published bimonthly for the Chief of Naval Operations by the Naval Historical Center. Editorial offices are located in Building 157-1, Washington Navy Yard. Washington. D C.. 20374-5059. Second- class postage is paid at Washington, D.C., and additional mailing offices. Naval Aviation News is for sale by the Superintendent of Documents, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C. 20402, phone (202) 783-3238. Annual subscription; $7.50.