USS Carinia (AK-74) Cargo Ship Collection

1945-2000: The U.SS Carina (AK-74) Collection of Papers, Documents, Crew Lists, Crew Profiles, Post War Activities, Newsletters, Ships Activities, Reunions, Officers Profiles, from the Jim Nance Collection.

USS Carina Ship History

Carina (AK-74) was launched 6 November 1942 by Permanente Metals Corp., Yard No. 1, Richmond, Calif., as David Davis. The ship was sponsored by Mrs. A. R. Olds and transferred to the Navy 20 November 1942; and commissioned 1 December 1942. Lieutenant Commander J. I. MacPherson, USNR, was installed as the ship's first commander. Lt. Cmdr B. Koerner later replaced MacPherson as the ship's commander.

Carina stood out of San Francisco 14 December 1942 laden with cargo for Espiritu Santo and Guadalcanal. She discharged cargo between 23 January 1943 and 4 February, bringing invaluable support to the last phases of the bitter campaign for that island.

Operating to aid in the southern Solomons' consolidation, the ship sailed between Espiritu Santo and Purvis Bay, Tagoma Point, and Tongatabu.

On 3 March, while unloading in Tulagi Harbor, she underwent two air attacks. Several near misses were scored, spraying the ship with shrapnel and wounding six of her crew.

Repaired at Espiritu Santo, Carina resumed her cargo runs until 30 May 1943, when she arrived in Australia for engine repairs and replenished at Townsville, Sydney, and Melbourne.

The USS Carina carried cargo for Marine units training in New Zealand to Auckland in August, then returned to her supply runs in the South Pacific. Adding Fiji, the Russells, Florida, New Guinea, and the Admiralties to her itinerary, she continued to base at Espiritu Santo until 12 July, when she sailed for San Francisco.

A stateside overhaul prepared the USS Carina for duty in distant support of the Philippines operation. She carried pontoons from Pearl Harbor to Ulithi between 2 October 1944 and 31 December. Returning to San Francisco for further repairs and alterations, she got underway for the action areas again on 9 March 1945.

She arrived in the action waters off Okinawa on 26 April, and on 4 May fell victim to a Japanese suicide boat. The ramming produced a violent explosion on her port side, knocking out one of her boilers and flooding one hold. Six of Carina's crew were injured.

Skillful damage control saved both Carina and her cargo. She was able to complete unloading before clearing for repairs at Ulithi. She returned to the United States for an overhaul in July, and on 16 October 1945 was decommissioned at Suisun Bay, Calif., and delivered to the War Shipping Administration.

Carina received three battle stars for World War II service.

Return to Top of Page