SS United States Embarkation Coupon - 16 May 1925
Scandinavian-American Line Third Class Embarkation Coupon for Passage on the SS United States, Departing from New York for Oslo Dated 16 May 1925. GGA Image ID # 16796f5376
Summary of Embarkation Coupon
- Date of Purchase / Voyage: 16 May 1925 / 28 May 1925
- Steamship Line: Steamship: Scandinavian American Line
- Ship: SS United States
- Route: New York to Oslo
- Ticket Type: Embarkation Coupon
- Voyage Class: Third
- Name on Contract: Mr. Johannes Hesch
- Etnicity of Passenger(s): Unknown
- Contract Terms: Not Stated
- Cost of Ticket: $103.50 / $1,530.00 USD in 2020
Embarkation Coupon Details
Scandinavian American Line
Passage Contract No. 147442
Full Name of Passenger and Age: Mr. Johannes Hesch, 39
United States Revenue Tax: U.S. Revenue Tax of $5.00 Collected. Not Good for Paggage Until Revenue Tax Stamp has been Affixed.
$5 Revenue Tax Stamp Affixed.
Room No. 531
Steamship: United States
Sailing On: 28 May 1925 att 12:00 Noon
For Passage from New York to Oslo
Ocean Fare Paid: $103.50
European Fare Paid: $0
Date of Issue: 16 May 1925
Agency at Philadelphia
/s/ Signature of Agent
Relative Cost of Passage Ticket in Today's Currency Value
In 2020, the relative values of $103.50 from 1925 ranges from $1,240.00 to $23,600.00.
A simple Purchasing Power Calculator would say the relative value is $1,530.00. This answer is obtained by multiplying $103.5 by the percentage increase in the CPI from 1925 to 2020.
This may not be the best answer.
The best measure of the relative value over time depends on if you are interested in comparing the cost or value of a Commodity, Income or Wealth, or a Project.
If you want to compare the value of a $103.50 Commodity in 1925 there are four choices. In 2020 the relative:
- real price of that commodity is $1,530.00
- real value in consumption of that commodity is $3,300.00
- labor value of that commodity is $6,020.00 (using the unskilled wage) or $6,700.00 (using production worker compensation)
- income value of that commodity is $8,300.00
- economic share of that commodity is $23,600.00
If you want to compare the value of a $103.50 Income or Wealth, in 1925 there are five choices. In 2020 the relative:
- real wage or real wealth value of that income or wealth is $1,530.00
- household purchasing power value of that income or wealth is $3,300.00
- relative labor earnings of that commodity are $6,020.00 (using the unskilled wage) or $6,700.00 (using production worker compensation)
- relative income value of that income or wealth is $8,300.00
- relative output value of that income or wealth is $23,600.00
If you want to compare the value of a $103.50 Project in 1925 there are four choices. In 2020 the relative:
- real cost of that project is $1,240.00
- household cost of that project is $3,300.00
- labor cost of that project is $6,020.00 (using the unskilled wage) or $6,700.00 (using production worker compensation)
- relative cost of that project is $8,300.00
- economy cost of that project is $23,600.00
Source: www.measuringworth.com Samuel H. Williamson, "Seven Ways to Compute the Relative Value of a U.S. Dollar Amount, 1790 to present," MeasuringWorth, 2022.