SS Leviathan Passage Contract - 10 September 1932
SS Leviathan Tourist Cabin Contract Ticket, Rotterdam (Cherbourg) to New York, 10 September 1932. GGA Image ID # 1fa582b3b0
Summary of Passage Contract
- Date of Purchase / Voyage: 10 September 1932
- Steamship Line: United States Lines
- Steamship: SS Leviathan
- Route: Rotterdam to New York via Cherbourg
- Ticket Type: Passage Contract
- Voyage Class: Tourist Cabin
- Name on Contract: Miss Joan MARECHAL
- Etnicity of Passenger(s): Dutch
- Contract Terms: Not Stated
- Cost of Ticket: $102 / $1,930.00 USD in 2020
Passage Contract Details
UNITED STATES LINES INC.
CONTRACT TICKET No. 30690
9. Rue des Mathurins, 9 - Paris
Tourist Cabin Contract Ticket
to Sail from Cherbourg to New York
on the 10th day of September 1932
Full Name: Miss Joan MARECHAL
Deck E, Room 76, Berth 2
Issued in Exchange For
- Issued By 89648
- Place: Rotterdam
- Date: Left 7 1932
Ocean Fare (off Rotterdam) $94
U. S. Head Tax: $8
Total $ 102
Balance Due: $0
View the related Passenger List for Westbound Voyage of the Leviathan that departed from Bremen on 9 September 1932 to New York via Southampton and Cherbourg.
Ellis Island Arriving Passenger Record
- Name: Joan Marechal
- Gender: Female
- Ethnicity/ Nationality: Dutch
- Marital status: Divorced
- Age: 34
- Birth Date: abt 1898
- Birth Place: Holland, Netherlands
- Other Birth Place: Utrecht
- Last Known Residence: St Paul, Minn
- Departure Port: Cherbourg, France
- Ship Name: Leviathan
- Arrival Date: 16 Sep 1932
- Arrival Port: New York, New York, USA
- Final Destination: Chicago, Illinois
- Years in US: Permanently
- Citizenship Intention: Yes
- Height: 5 Feet, 7 Inches
- Hair Color: Brown
- Eye Color: Brown
- Complexion: Fair
- Person in Old Country: Mr A Marechal
- Person in Old Country Relationship: Brother
- Person in Old Country Residence: 7824 So Winchester Ave Chicago
- Sibling: A Marechal
Source Citation: Year: 1932; Arrival: New York, New York, USA; Microfilm Serial: T715, 1897-1957; Line: 15; Page Number: 38
Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at New York, New York, 1820-1897. Microfilm Publication M237, 675 rolls. NAI: 6256867. Records of the U.S. Customs Service, Record Group 36. National Archives at Washington, D.C.
Passenger and Crew Lists of Vessels Arriving at New York, New York, 1897-1957. Microfilm Publication T715, 8892 rolls. NAI: 300346. Records of the Immigration and Naturalization Service; National Archives at Washington, D.C.
Supplemental Manifests of Alien Passengers and Crew Members Who Arrived on Vessels at New York, New York, Who Were Inspected for Admission, and Related Index, compiled 1887-1952. Microfilm Publication A3461, 21 rolls. NAI: 3887372. RG 85, Records of the Immigration and Naturalization Service, 1787-2004; Records of the Immigration and Naturalization Service; National Archives, Washington, D.C.
Index to Alien Crewmen Who Were Discharged or Who Deserted at New York, New York, May 1917-Nov. 1957. Microfilm Publication A3417. NAI: 4497925. National Archives at Washington, D.C.
Passenger Lists, 1962-1972, and Crew Lists, 1943-1972, of Vessels Arriving at Oswego, New York. Microfilm Publication A3426. NAI: 4441521. National Archives at Washington, D.C.
Relative Cost of Passage Ticket in Today's Currency Value
In 2020, the relative values of $102.00 from 1932 ranges from $1,610.00 to $35,800.00.
A simple Purchasing Power Calculator would say the relative value is $1,930.00. This answer is obtained by multiplying $102 by the percentage increase in the CPI from 1932 to 2020.
This may not be the best answer.
The best measure of the relative value over time depends on if you are interested in comparing the cost or value of a Commodity, Income or Wealth, or a Project.
If you want to compare the value of a $102.00 Commodity in 1932 there are four choices. In 2020 the relative:
- real price of that commodity is $1,930.00
- real value in consumption of that commodity is $4,980.00
- labor value of that commodity is $6,750.00 (using the unskilled wage) or $7,440.00 (using production worker compensation)
- income value of that commodity is $13,600.00
- economic share of that commodity is $35,800.00
If you want to compare the value of a $102.00 Income or Wealth, in 1932 there are five choices. In 2020 the relative:
- real wage or real wealth value of that income or wealth is $1,930.00
- household purchasing power value of that income or wealth is $4,980.00
- relative labor earnings of that commodity are $6,750.00 (using the unskilled wage) or $7,440.00 (using production worker compensation)
- relative income value of that income or wealth is $13,600.00
- relative output value of that income or wealth is $35,800.00
If you want to compare the value of a $102.00 Project in 1932 there are four choices. In 2020 the relative:
- real cost of that project is $1,610.00
- household cost of that project is $4,980.00
- labor cost of that project is $6,750.00 (using the unskilled wage) or $7,440.00 (using production worker compensation)
- relative cost of that project is $13,600.00
- economy cost of that project is $35,800.00
Source: www.measuringworth.com Samuel H. Williamson, "Seven Ways to Compute the Relative Value of a U.S. Dollar Amount, 1790 to present," MeasuringWorth, 2022.