RMS Ivernia Passage Contract - 11 March 1905
Cunard Line RMS Ivernia Contract for Passage, Copenhagen to America, 11 March 1905. GGA Image ID # 1f9dccc53a
Passage Contract Summary
- Date of Purchase / Voyage: 11 March 1905 / 6 April 1905
- Steamship Line: Cunard Steam Ship Company, Limited
- Steamship: RMS Ivernia
- Route: Copenhagen to Albert Lea, MN via Liverpool and Boston
- Ticket Type: Passage Contract
- Voyage Class: Not Stated
- Name on Contract: Jens Julius Skafte
- Etnicity of Passenger(s): Norwegian
- Contract Terms: Limited Translated from Danish
- Cost of Ticket: 218.20 DKK / $1,760.00 USD in 2020
In this case, based on the transciption of the Passenger Manifest, Jens Julius Skafte was a Norwegian immigrant who had settled in Albert Lea, Minnesota and was returning to the United States from Scandinavia.
Route Followed: Copenhagen > Liverpool > Boston > Albert Lea
The Cunard Steam Ship Company, Limited,
1 Rumford Street
C. Mogensen, General-Agent
27 Nyhavn, Kjøbenhavn
Passager-Kontrakt Nr. 6467
C. Mogensen i Kjøbenhavn, Generalagent for Danmark,
og nedenanførte Passagerer angaaende Befordring
fra Kjobenhavn til Albert Lea, Minn.
Passagerens fulde Navn: Jens Julius Skafte
Sidste Opholdssted: Amerika
Rubber Stamp: STEMPEL FOR LÆGESYN - ESBJERG
I the undersigned C. Mogensen do hereby engage to forward by Steamship and railroad there above named passenger from the place of departure to the place of destination for the sum of Two Hundred Eighteen Kroner 20 Øre.
- Date of Contract: 11 March 1905 (Indicate on Danish Tax Stamp of 15 Øre affixed on upper left of Contract.
- Number of Pages: 1 (Reverse side is blank)
- Dimensions: 22.3 x 17.3 cm
- Name: Jeno Julius Skapte
- Arrival Date: 6 April 1905
- Age: 44
- Estimated Birth Year: about 1861
- Gender: Male
- Ethnic Background: Norwegian
- Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
- Ship Name: Ivernia
- Port of Arrival: Boston, Massachusetts
- Last Residence: United States of America
- Source Citation: National Archives and Records Administration (NARA); Washington, D.C.; Crew Lists of Vessels Arriving at Boston, Massachusetts, 1917-1943; Microfilm Serial: T938; Microfilm Roll: 82.
- Source Information: Ancestry.com. Boston Passenger and Crew Lists, 1820-1943 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2006.
- Boston, Massachusetts. Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Boston, Massachusetts, 1891-1943. Micropublication T843. RG085. 454 rolls. National Archives, Washington, D.C.
- Boston, Massachusetts. Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Boston, Massachusetts, 1820-1891. Micropublication M277. RG036. 115 rolls. National Archives, Washington, D.C.
- Boston, Massachusetts. Crew Lists of Vessels Arriving at Boston, Massachusetts, 1917-1943. Micropublication T938. RG085. 269 rolls. National Archives, Washington, D.C.
Relative Cost of Passage Ticket in Today's Currency Value
218.20 Danish krone [1804-2015] in year 1905 could buy the same amount of consumer goods and services in Sweden as 58.05608906185556 US dollar [1791-2015] could buy in Sweden in year 1905. This comparison should be used if the purpose of the analysis is to compare absolute worth over time rather than relative worth. Historical currency converter
In 2020, the relative values of $58.06 from 1905 ranges from $1,330.00 to $41,700.00.
A simple Purchasing Power Calculator would say the relative value is $1,760.00. This answer is obtained by multiplying $58.06 by the percentage increase in the CPI from 1905 to 2020.
This may not be the best answer.
The best measure of the relative value over time depends on if you are interested in comparing the cost or value of a Commodity, Income or Wealth, or a Project.
If you want to compare the value of a $58.06 Commodity in 1905 there are four choices. In 2020 the relative:
- real price of that commodity is $1,760.00
- real value in consumption of that commodity is $3,980.00
- labor value of that commodity is $8,690.00 (using the unskilled wage) or $12,100.00 (using production worker compensation)
- income value of that commodity is $10,600.00
- economic share of that commodity is $41,700.00
If you want to compare the value of a $58.06 Income or Wealth, in 1905 there are five choices. In 2020 the relative:
- real wage or real wealth value of that income or wealth is $1,760.00
- household purchasing power value of that income or wealth is $3,980.00
- relative labor earnings of that commodity are $8,690.00 (using the unskilled wage) or $12,100.00 (using production worker compensation)
- relative income value of that income or wealth is $10,600.00
- relative output value of that income or wealth is $41,700.00
If you want to compare the value of a $58.06 Project in 1905 there are four choices. In 2020 the relative:
- real cost of that project is $1,330.00
- household cost of that project is $3,980.00
- labor cost of that project is $8,690.00 (using the unskilled wage) or $12,100.00 (using production worker compensation)
- relative cost of that project is $10,600.00
- economy cost of that project is $41,700.00
Source: www.measuringworth.com Samuel H. Williamson, "Seven Ways to Compute the Relative Value of a U.S. Dollar Amount, 1790 to present," MeasuringWorth, 2022.