SS Avoceta Archival Collection
Avoceta (1923) Yeoward Line (British)
Built by Caledon Shipbuilding & Engineering Co, Dundee. Tonnage: 3,442 GRT. Dimensions: Length 319.0 ft (97.2 m), Width 44.2 ft (13.5 m). Propulsion: 3-cylinder triple-expansion engine; single screw, 395 NHP. Speed: 11 knots. Launched: 21 September 1922. Fate: Sunk by torpedo, 25 September 1941 in the North Atlantic. Note: SS Avoceta was a British steam passenger liner. She belonged to Yeoward Line, which carried passengers and fruit between Liverpool, Lisbon, Madeira and the Canary Islands.
- Steamship Line: Yeoward Line
- Class of Passengers: Tourist
- Date of Departure: 18 April 1936
- Route: Liverpool to Tenerife, Madeira, and Return to Liverpool
- Commander: Captain D. McPhee