Norddeutscher Lloyd Bremen History - Volume 2
Front Cover, Norddeutscher Lloyd, Bremen, 1857-1970, Volume 2. Cordillera Publishing Company (1995). GGA Image ID # 1e8b6f7d2e
Back Cover, Norddeutscher Lloyd, Bremen, 1857-1970, Volume 2. Cordillera Publishing Company (1995). GGA Image ID # 1e8b84aecb
Description: The second volume begins with the years after World War One, The Great War, and the recovery after the war, starting from scratch to rebuild their steamship line. Although Norddeutscher Lloyd would again win the Blue Riband of the North Atlantic in 1929, the depression of the 1930s affected NDL as yet another crisis in ship ownership and management to which commercial shipping interests had always been prone. The ranks of transatlantic passenger carriers thinned out as large and small concerns went out of business.
After the second world war, history repeated itself. Once again, German shipping assets were split up among the victorious allies. Furthermore, the company rebuilt its world trading fleet with new ships. Still, passenger carrying was never to be the same again.
Library of Congress Catalog Listing
- Personal name: Drechsel, Edwin.
- Main title: Norddeutscher Lloyd, Bremen, 1857-1970 : history, fleet, ship mails / Edwin Drechsel ; foreword, Arnold Kludas.
- Published/Created: Vancouver, B.C. : Cordillera Pub. Co., c1994-c1995.
- Description: 2 v. : ill. ; 29 cm.
- ISBN: 1895590086 (v. 1) 1895590140 (v. 2)
- LC classification: HE945.N727 D74 1994
- LC Subjects: Norddeutscher Lloyd--History. Merchant marine--Germany--History. Mail steamers--Germany--History.
- Notes: Includes bibliographical references and index.
- LCCN: 95195117
- Geographic area code: e-gx---
- Canadian class no.: HE945 N75 D73 1994 fol. HE945*
- National bib no.: C94-910327-6
- Other system no.: (OCoLC)30357825
- Type of material: Book