SS President Van Buren Archival Collection
President Van Buren (1920) United States Lines
Built by New York Shipbuilding Co., Camden, N. J. Tonnage: 10,533. Dimensions: 502' x 62' (522'o.l.). Twin-screw, 14 knots. Quadruple expansion engines. Two masts and one funnel. Made her first sailing for United States Lines in August 1922. Sale: Purchased by Dollar Line in 1924. Renamed: (a) President Fillmore (1940). World War II Service: U. S. hospital Ship and renamed Marigold (1942).
One of the first and most comprehensive brochures on the early beginnings of the United States Lines. Many photographs documents the cabin class (First Class/Second Class) amenities on the many ships of the USL. Undated, but likely published in 1922 before the Leviathan came into service in 1923. Featured Ships: George Washington, America, President Roosevelt, President Harding, President Monroe, President Adams, President Van Buren, President Polk, President Garfield, President Fillmore, and President Arthur.
- Steamship Line: United States Lines
- Class of Passengers: Cabin
- Date of Departure: 18 July 1923
- Route: New York to London via Plymouth and Cherbourg
- Commander: Captain A. M. Moore, U.S.N.R.F
Rare 1925 Brochure from The Dollar Steamship Line on their President Liners. Many photographs document their distinctively higher standard of luxury, comfort, and convenience -- a measure designed to meet the requirements of ocean voyagers. Ships featured: President Van Buren, President Monroe, President Harrison,
President Adams, President Garfield, President Hayes, and President Polk.
- Steamship Line: Dollar Steamship Line
- Class of Passengers: Cabin Class
- Date of Departure: 30 September 1926
- Route: New York to Marseilles via Havana, Cristobal, Balbao, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Honolulu, Kobe, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Manilla, Singapore, Penang, Colombo, Port Said and Alexandria
- Commander: Captain M. Ridley
United States Lines Fleet List for Bremen and London Services, 1922. Bremen Service Ships Included the America, George Washington, President Arthur, President Fillmore, President Harding, and President Roosevelt. London Service Ships Included the President Adams, President Garfield, President Monroe, President Polk, and President Van Buren. SS America Passenger List, 12 July 1922. GGA Image ID # 1e2d0848bb