Agent's Record - Boston to Londonderry - 26 July 1907
Eastward Passage Ticket, Allan Line, 1907, Boston to Londonderry. GGA Image ID # 2722abb501
Agent's Record Summary
- Date of Purchase / Voyage: 26 July 1907
- Steamship Line: Allan Line
- Steamship: SS Laurentian
- Route: Boston to Londonderry
- Ticket Type: Agent's Record
- Voyage Class: Third Class
- Name on Contract: Mary McGovern
- Etnicity of Passenger(s): American?
- Contract Terms: Limited
- Cost of Ticket: $26.50 / $753.00 USD in 2020
Agent's Record Description
Passenger Ticket for a 23-year-old woman booked on the Allan Line Steamship Laurentian in 3rd Class (Steerage) from Boston to Londonderry, England leaving on 26 July 1907.
This would represent the Agent's record of the transaction as it states the amount of commission earned on this ticket.
Berth No. ___
Eastward Passage Ticket
Dated at Prov. July 20, 1907
To Sail From: Boston
On The 26 Day Of July 1907
For 3rd Class Passage
Through to Lderry (Londonderry)
Name of Passenger: Mary McGovern
Address: 111 Althea Street, Boston, MA
Gross Amount: $26.50
Agent's Commission: $2.00
Net Amount to Allan Line: $24.50
- Date: 20 July 1907
- Ticket Number: 5035
- Dimensions: 9.5 x 18.2 cm
Relative Cost of Passage Ticket in Today's Currency Value
In 2020, the relative values of $26.50 from 1907 ranges from $552.00 to $16,200.00.
A simple Purchasing Power Calculator would say the relative value is $753.00. This answer is obtained by multiplying $26.50 by the percentage increase in the CPI from 1907 to 2020.
This may not be the best answer.
The best measure of the relative value over time depends on if you are interested in comparing the cost or value of a Commodity , Income or Wealth , or a Project.
If you want to compare the value of a $26.50 Commodity in 1907 there are four choices. In 2020 the relative:
- real price of that commodity is $753.00
- real value in consumption of that commodity is $1,670.00
- labor value of that commodity is $3,620.00 (using the unskilled wage) or $4,980.00 (using production worker compensation)
- income value of that commodity is $4,270.00
- economic share of that commodity is $16,200.00
If you want to compare the value of a $26.50 Income or Wealth , in 1907 there are five choices. In 2020 the relative:
- real wage or real wealth value of that income or wealth is $753.00
- household purchasing power value of that income or wealth is $1,670.00
- relative labor earnings of that commodity are $3,620.00 (using the unskilled wage) or $4,980.00 (using production worker compensation)
- relative income value of that income or wealth is $4,270.00
- relative output value of that income or wealth is $16,200.00
If you want to compare the value of a $26.50 Project in 1907 there are four choices. In 2020 the relative:
- real cost of that project is $552.00
- household cost of that project is $1,670.00
- labor cost of that project is $3,620.00 (using the unskilled wage) or $4,980.00 (using production worker compensation)
- relative cost of that project is $4,270.00
- economy cost of that project is $16,200.00
Source: www.measuringworth.com Samuel H. Williamson, "Seven Ways to Compute the Relative Value of a U.S. Dollar Amount, 1790 to present," MeasuringWorth, 2022.