Passage Record - Southampton to Capetown - 8 October 1904
1904-10-08 Steamship Ticket Record - Union-Castle Mail Steamship Company, Limited - Counterpart of Steerage Passenger's Contract Ticket, RMS Arundel Castle, Southampton to Cape Town.
Passage Record Summary
- Date of Purchase / Voyage: 8 October 1904
- Steamship Line: Union-Castle Mail Steamship Company, Limited
- Steamship: RMS Arundel Castle
- Route: Southampton to Capetown
- Ticket Type: Passage Record
- Voyage Class: Steerage
- Name on Contract: Wm. G. Parker and Herbert Kerr
- Etnicity of Passenger(s): British or South African
- Contract Terms: Limited
- Cost of Ticket: £ 33 : 12s : 0d / £3,701.00 GBP in 2020
Passage Record Content
The Union-Castle Mail Steamship Company, Limited.
DONALD CURRIE & CO., Managers.
Steamship Arundel Castle
COUNTERPART OF PASSENGER'S CONTRACT TICKET.
This part of the Contract Ticket is to be separated from the other and is to be delivered by the passenger to the Emigration Officer, at the Pert of Embarkation (or if no such Officer, to the Officer of Customs), or to any one appointed by him to receive it, under a Penalty not exceeding £10.
We engage that the Persons mentioned below shall be provided wit a STEERAGE Passage to, and be landed at the Port of Cape Town in the Steamship Arundale Castle of -- Tons, with not less than 20 Cubic Feet for Luggage for each Statute Adult, and shall be victualled during the whole Voyage according to the Dietary Scale prescribed by Law. The Ship to receive her Passengers in LONDON on the -- and at SOUTHAMPTON on the eighth day of October 1904
Passage Money, including Government Dues, if any, and all Charges of Landing,
£ 33 : 12 : 0
Wm. G. Parker Age 34
Herbert Kerr Age 32
Two Souls, equal to Two Statute Adults.
For DONALD CURRIE & CO., Managers of THE UNION-CASTLE MAIL STEAMSHIP COMPANY, LIMITED.
To be signed in full by the Party issuing the Ticket.
* Insert Number of Souls and of Statute Adults respectively.
Relative Cost of Passage Ticket in Today's Currency Value
In 2020, the relative value of £33 12s 0d from 1904 ranges from £3,701.00 to £37,610.00.
A simple Purchasing Power Calculator would say the relative value is £3,701.00. This answer is obtained by multiplying £33.60 by the percentage increase in the RPI from 1904 to 2020.
This may not be the best answer.
The best measure of the relative value over time depends on if you are interested in comparing the cost or value of a Commodity, Income or Wealth, or a Project . For more discussion on how to pick the best measure, consult the Tutorials.
If you want to compare the value of a £33 12s 0d Commodity in 1904 there are four choices. In 2020 the relative:
- real price of that commodity is £3,701.00
- labour value of that commodity is £13,770.00
- income value of that commodity is £22,110.00
- economic share of that commodity is £37,610.00
If you want to compare the value of a £33 12s 0d Income or Wealth, in 1904 there are four choices. In 2020 the relative:
- real wage or real wealth value of that income or wealth is £3,701.00
- labour earnings of that income or wealth is £13,770.00
- relative income value of that income or wealth is £22,110.00
- relative output value of that income or wealth is £37,610.00
If you want to compare the value of a £33 12s 0d Project in 1904 there are three choices. In 2020 the relative:
- real cost of that project is £3,896.00
- labour cost of that project is £13,770.00
- economic cost of that project is £37,610.00