Passage Contract - Genova to Buenos Aires - 14 February 1931
Navigazione Generale Italiana Third Class Passage Ticket for Passage on the SS Duilio, Departing from Genova for Buenos Aires Dated 14 February 1931. GGA Image ID # 1305b65aea
Summary of Passage Contract
- Date of Purchase / Voyage: 14 February 1931 / 17 February 1931
- Steamship Line: Navigazione Generale Italiana
- Steamship: SS Duilio
- Route: Genova to Buenos Aires via Villafranca, Barcelona, Rio Janeiro, and Santos Montevideo
- Ticket Type: Passage Contract
- Voyage Class: Third Class
- Name on Contract: Illegible -- 25 year old Italian and 3 year old child
- Etnicity of Passenger(s): Italian
- Contract Terms: Partial translation of Italian
- Cost of Ticket: $129.42 / $2,200.00 USD in 2020
Passage Contract Details
Passage Ticket for a voyage on the SS Duilio of the NGI (Navigazione Generale Italiana) in third class from Genova to Buenos Aires dated 14 February 1931. Voyage ports of call included Villafranca, Barcelona, Rio Janeiro, and Santos Montevideo.
Società Riunite FLORIO, RUBATTINO e LLOYD ITALIAN
Società Anonima - Sede in Genova – Capitale Sociate Lit.600.000.000 – Versato Lit. 360.000.000 (C.C.I. Genova N. 800)
No. 021535 - UFFICIO PASSEGGlERI 3a CLASSE (No. 219)
Biglietto d’Imbarco per No…..Posti di 3° Classe
Col Vapore di bandiera italiana: DUILIO
Che partira da : NAPOLI
Il : Feb. 17, 1931
Per : BUENOS AIRES
Toccando di scalo i Porti di: VILLAFRANCA, BARCELONA, RIO JANEIRO E SANTOS MONTEVIDEO
Durata del Viaggio: 14 giorni (comprese le fermate nel porti di scalo)
Società Riunite FLORIO, RUBATTINO and LLOYD ITALIAN
Limited Company - Seat in Genoa - Share Capital Lit. 600.000.000 - Paid Lit. 360.000.000 (C.C.I. Genoa N. 800)
No. 021535 - PASSENGER OFFICE 3rd CLASS (No. 219)
Boarding Ticket for No ...... 3rd Class
Steamship With the Italian flag: DUILIO
Which will sail from: NAPLES
On: Feb. 17, 1931
For: BUENOS AIRES
Touching the ports of: VILLAFRANCA, BARCELONA, RIO JANEIRO AND SANTOS MONTEVIDEO
Travel Duration: 14 days (including stops in the ports of call)
Remainder to be paid in Naples: L.it. 112.50
Nolo provvisorio – con autorizzazione alia Società di riscuotere la differenza- in piu, se prima della partenza del P.fo l’On Commissariato, stabilisse un nolo superiore. La durata del viaggio verrà aumentata di un giorno per ogni scalo eventuale.
Nolo Lit. 2450 per ogni posto più Lit. 5 a testa tassa portuale e Lit.15 a posto diritto fisso bagaglio
II presente biglietto dà diritto all'imbarco gratuito di 100 Kg. di bagaglio, purche non superi il volume di mezzo metro cubo, ad ogni posto commerciale. L’eccedenza bagaglio e tassa in base alla tariffa approvata dal R. Commissariato.
N. posti a L.it. 2450
Acconto pagato al Rappresentante in ragione di L.it per posto.
Rimanenza a pagarsi a Napoli: L.it. 112.50
Napoli, li 2 Feb., 1931
Provisional hire - with the permission of the Company to collect the difference - in addition, if before the departure of the Office the Commissioner, established a superior freight. The duration of the trip will be increased by one day for each call.
Rental fee Lit. 2450 for each seat plus Lit. 5 per head port tax and Lit.15 per fixed baggage fee.
The present ticket entitles to free boarding of 100 Kg. Of baggage, provided that it does not exceed the volume of half a cubic meter, at each commercial place. The excess baggage and tax based on the rate approved by the Commissariat.
Number of seats to L.it. 2450
Deposit paid to the Representative by reason of L.it per place.
Remainder to be paid in Naples: L.it. 112.50
Dated: Naples, 2 Feb., 1931
Terms and Conditions, Navigazione Generale Italiana Third Class Passage Ticket for Passage on the SS Duilio, Departing from Genova for Montevideo Dated 14 February 1931. GGA Image ID # 1305c97466
Relative Cost of Passage Ticket in Today's Currency Value
2470 Italian lira [1880-2015] in year 1931 could buy the same amount of consumer goods and services in Sweden as 129.4204223148394 US dollar [1791-2015] could buy in Sweden in year 1931. This comparison should be used if the purpose of the analysis is to compare absolute worth over time rather than relative worth. Historical Currency Converter
In 2020, the relative values of $129.42 from 1931 ranges from $1,810.00 to $34,900.00.
A simple Purchasing Power Calculator would say the relative value is $2,200.00. This answer is obtained by multiplying $129.42 by the percentage increase in the CPI from 1931 to 2020.
This may not be the best answer.
The best measure of the relative value over time depends on if you are interested in comparing the cost or value of a Commodity, Income or Wealth, or a Project.
If you want to compare the value of a $129.42 Commodity in 1931 there are four choices. In 2020 the relative:
- real price of that commodity is $2,200.00
- real value in consumption of that commodity is $5,060.00
- labor value of that commodity is $7,470.00 (using the unskilled wage) or $8,210.00 (using production worker compensation)
- income value of that commodity is $13,100.00
- economic share of that commodity is $34,900.00
If you want to compare the value of a $129.42 Income or Wealth, in 1931 there are five choices. In 2020 the relative:
- real wage or real wealth value of that income or wealth is $2,200.00
- household purchasing power value of that income or wealth is $5,060.00
- relative labor earnings of that commodity are $7,470.00 (using the unskilled wage) or $8,210.00 (using production worker compensation)
- relative income value of that income or wealth is $13,100.00
- relative output value of that income or wealth is $34,900.00
If you want to compare the value of a $129.42 Project in 1931 there are four choices. In 2020 the relative:
- real cost of that project is $1,810.00
- household cost of that project is $5,060.00
- labor cost of that project is $7,470.00 (using the unskilled wage) or $8,210.00 (using production worker compensation)
- relative cost of that project is $13,100.00
- economy cost of that project is $34,900.00
Source: www.measuringworth.com Samuel H. Williamson, "Seven Ways to Compute the Relative Value of a U.S. Dollar Amount, 1790 to present," MeasuringWorth, 2022.