Passage Contract - Melbourne to London - 21 May 1921
Steamship contract ticket for Third Class Passage on a voyage of the SS Euripides of the Aberdeen Line from Melbourne, Australia to London departing on 21 May 1921. From the Bill Stevens Collection.
Summary of Passage Contract
- Date of Purchase / Voyage: 21 May 1921
- Steamship Line: Aberdeen Line
- Steamship: SS Euripides
- Route: Melbourne to London
- Ticket Type: Passage Contract
- Voyage Class: Third Class
- Name on Contract: Mr. W. G. Stevens and Family
- Etnicity of Passenger(s): Austrailian or British
- Contract Terms: Transcribed
- Cost of Ticket: £92 12s 6d / £4,201.00 GBP in 2020
Passage Contract Details
This Contract Ticket is Issued subject to Passport being produced on embarkation.
ABERDEEN LINE OF STEAMSHIPS.
No. 236 PASSENGERS' CONTRACT TICKET.
1. A Contract Ticket in this form must be given to every Passenger engaging a Passage from Victoria to any place out of the said State coming under the operation of any Proclamation from time to time issued by the Governor of the State under the PASSENGERS' ACT, 1855.
2. The Victualling Scale for the voyage most be printed in the body of the Ticket.
3. All the blanks must be correctly filled in, and the Ticket must be legibly signed with the Christian names and surnames and addresses in full of the party issuing the same.
4. The day of the month on which the Passengers are to embark must be inserted in words and not in figures.
5. When once issued, this Ticket must not be withdrawn from the Passenger, nor any alteration or erasure made in it unless with his or her consent.
The Steamship EURIPIDES of 15,000 Tons Register, to take in Passengers at the Port of Melbourne, for London on or about Twenty-first day of May 1921
- Mr. W. G. Stevens
- Mrs. W. G. Stevens & Infant
- Master J. E. Stevens (4)
Your attention is specially directed to the conditions of transportation in the annexed contract.
The Company do not accept liability for loss or damage to baggage, but passengers can protect themselves by insurance.
This Contract Ticket is issued subject to Passport being produced on embarkation.
This Ticket must bear a receipt for the full passage money before the holder can embark.
Berth No. 177, 143/144
I engage that the persons named in the margin hereof shall be provided with a THIRD CLASS Passage to and shall be landed at the Port of LONDON in the Steamship EURIPIDES with not less than Fifteen Cubic Feet for Luggage for each Statute Adult, and shall be victualled during the voyage, and at the time of detention at any place before its termination according to the subjoined Scale, for the sum of £ 92-12s-6d including Government dues before embarkation, and Head Money, if any, at the place of landing, and every other charge except freight for excess of luggage beyond the quantity above specified; and I hereby acknowledge to have
received the sum of £ 92-12-6 in full payment.
The following quantities, at least, of Water and Provisions (to be issued daily) will be supplied by the Master of the Ship, as required by law, viz.:—To each Statute Adult, 3 quarts of Water daily, exclusive of what is necessary for cooking the articles required by the Passengers Act to be issued in a cooked state; and a weekly allowance of Provisions, according to the following Scale :-
- Flour : 3 pounds
- Bread : 4 pounds
- Salt Beef or Pork : 1.5 pounds
- Preserved Meat : 1.5 pounds
- Soup & Bullion : 1/2 pound
- Suet : 6 ounces
- Peas : 1/2 pint
- Pressed Potatoes : 1/2 pound
- Or Fresh Potatoes: 2 pounds
- Rice : 1/2 pound
- Tea : 2 ounces
- Coffee : 1/4 pound
- Sugar : 1 pound
- Butter : 6 ounces
- Treacle : 1/4 pound
- Vinegar : 1 gill
- Pickles : 1/4 pint
- Mustard: 1/2 ounce
- Salt : 2 ounce
- Pepper : 1/2 ounce
- Cheese : 1/4 pound
- Oatmeal : 3/4 pound
- Raisins or Currants: 1/2 pound
- Lime Juice (in Tropics) : 6 ounces
- Water : 21 quarts
Substitutions may be made by the Master in accordance with the terms of the PASSENGERS ACT :-1 pound of Preserved Meat for 1 pound of Salt Pork or Beef; 1 pound of Flour, or of Bread or Biscuit, or 1/2 pound of Beef or of Pork, for 1.25 pounds of Oatmeal, or 1 pound of Rice, or 1 pound of Peas; 1 pound of Rice for 1.25 pounds of Oatmeal, or VICE VERSA; 1/4 pound of Preserved Potatoes for 1 pound of Potatoes; 10 ounces of Currants for 8 ounces of Raisons; 3.5 ounces of Cocoa, or of Coffee roasted and ground, for 2 ounces of Tea; 3/4 pound of Treacle for 1/2 pound of Sugar 1 gill of mixed pickles for 1 gill of Vinegar.
On behalf of the Owners of the EURIPIDES
DALGETY & COMPANY Limited
Melbourne, 9 May 1921
Deposit - £
Balance - £
Total - £ 92-12-6
NOTICE TO PASSENGERS
1. If passengers, through no default of their own, are not received on board on the day named in their Contract Tickets, or fail to obtain a passage in the Ship, they should apply to the Government Emigration Officer at the port, who will assist them in obtaining redress under the law in force relating to passengers.
2. Passengers should carefully keep this part of their Contract ticket till after the end of the Voyage
DALGETY & COMPANY LIMITED, Agents, Melbourne.
The stipulations on back hereof form part of the contract.
Return order No 619
£ 40 ls gw
Relative Cost of Passage Ticket in Today's Currency Value
In 2020, the relative value of £92 12s 6d from 1921 ranges from £4,201.00 to £40,220.00.
A simple Purchasing Power Calculator would say the relative value is £4,201.00. This answer is obtained by multiplying £92.63 by the percentage increase in the RPI from 1921 to 2020.
This may not be the best answer.
The best measure of the relative value over time depends on if you are interested in comparing the cost or value of a Commodity, Income or Wealth, or a Project . For more discussion on how to pick the best measure, consult the Tutorials.
If you want to compare the value of a £92 12s 6d Commodity in 1921 there are four choices. In 2020 the relative:
- real price of that commodity is £4,201.00
- labour value of that commodity is £14,840.00
- income value of that commodity is £26,360.00
- economic share of that commodity is £40,220.00
If you want to compare the value of a £92 12s 6d Income or Wealth, in 1921 there are four choices. In 2020 the relative:
- real wage or real wealth value of that income or wealth is £4,201.00
- labour earnings of that income or wealth is £14,840.00
- relative income value of that income or wealth is £26,360.00
- relative output value of that income or wealth is £40,220.00
If you want to compare the value of a £92 12s 6d Project in 1921 there are three choices. In 2020 the relative:
- real cost of that project is £4,287.00
- labour cost of that project is £14,840.00
- economic cost of that project is £40,220.00